Date(s) - Jun 08, 2018 - Jun 09, 2018
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Stefan Vapaa
- William Lightfoot
- Richard Campbell
- Steve Moskowitz
- George G Vapaa
- Adam Buck Student
- Michael Rich
- Hal Fillinger
- Todd Daniel
- Jim Donick
- Frank Buck
- Don Rose
Grand Ascent Hill Climb
June 8th and 9th 2018
Price drop! Single Day Entry Available!
- We have dropped the price of the 2-day event to $400 to make this an even more enticing and valuable experience!
- Also, the option to enter for just Friday or Saturday has been added, at a reduced cost of course, for those who just can’t get away from work or have schedule conflicts.
New this year, in addition to all the cars that are currently accepted by the VSCCA, we are opening up the Grand Ascent at Hershey to a few additional classes of cars! The new production year limit is 1970, which is the last year the original Hershey Hillclimb was run. See below for details on car and driver eligibility.
Although the increasingly popular Grand Ascent, held on the grounds of the magnificent Hotel Hershey, chimes in as a relative lightweight in the hill climb world (7/10th’s of a mile and an elevation change of 200 feet), the historic “Ascent” can be deceiving. The changes in elevation, although gradual, lull one into a false belief that this is an easy course to negotiate. Nothing could be further from the truth. Lightening fast straights are abruptly followed by characteristically acute, slightly off camber, and narrowing turns requiring delicate car control. The subtle lighting caused by the grand old growth trees lining the road also make it challenging to gauge when to make your steering and braking inputs. This is an exciting course even for the hill climb experts among us. The presence of a return path adds to the enjoyment as the driver does not have to wait at the top prior to returning for another go. Outstanding track-side vantage points throughout make this is a popular spectator event which adds a vein of excitement that few hill climbs can ever hope to emulate.
Timed runs will begin on Friday and last into Saturday. Thanks to the expertise and generosity of fellow VSCCA member Joe Parlanti and his group, we will again have digital timing displayed at the top of the hill after you pass the finish line and online LIVE timing visible on your smartphone or on the display at the event headquarters tent! The level of excitement a driver feels when passing the chequered at the top and seeing your time in large numbers is indescribable.
Lodging choices at all price ranges abound. Hershey is particularly pleasant in that there is a multitude of activities available for members of your family that lack the hill climb bug in them. Aside from the well known Hershey amusement park, you can treat your better half to a deservedly relaxing and pampering spa treatment at the Hotel Hersey. The Friday night kick-off party at the new Hershey Gardens Conservatory featuring wonderful food and music held amid a beautiful lush indoor garden with a great collection of butterflies. It is just the way to begin a weekend that is certain to count as one of the more memorable times you can spend with your family. The VSCCA Saturday night dinner at the “What If… Of Hershey” restaurant will top the day off. Have a classic and relaxing cocktail before dinner at The Circular, a renowned Art Deco restaurant – bar overlooking the Hotel Hershey gardens which bloom magnificently at this time of year.
Enter online or send a paper entry! http://www.vscca.org/wp-content/uploads/2015-VSCCAEntryForm.pdf
Grand Ascent at Hershey General Eligibility Requirements
- Any and all VSCCA cars with VSCCA logbooks are always eligible.
- All later year cars are approved on a case by case basis.
- All cars and driver equipment must conform to the VSCCA Safety Regulations (at a minimum).
- Drivers should be current members of a VMC club, hill climb association, or (if coming from overseas for example) equivalent.
- Cars should be prepared similarly to VSCCA cars where presentation and originality are of greater importance than performance.
- No slick tires or tires with “holographic” tread.
Specific Invitational Car Classes
- ≤ 1970 Production sports cars and sporting sedans of up to approximately 1500cc engine displacement
- ≤ 1970 Sports Racers from SCCA H-Mod/DSR and G-Mod/CSR
- ≤ 1970 Formula V
Possible exceptions in excess of the above might be possible for historically significant cars or cars that are “stock” or very lightly prepared.
Bookings are closed for this event.
Click here to view all of the VSCCA Events.